Returning students may have to provide an updated application, program agreement and eligibility documentation. If you are a returning student who has been out of school since 2001, you will need to update your file with new tribal documentation dated no earlier than January 2010. Please check with the UMS North American Indian Waiver Office at 207-581-1417 with questions about your return.
How to Apply for New Applicants
- North American Natives check the American Indian box your admission application.
- Apply for the Native American Waiver and Educational Program, and Room & Board Grant only after receiving an acceptance letter for the University which you applied for. A copy of the application can be obtained by calling the UMS N.A.W.E.P and Room & Board Grant Office at 207-581-1417.
- Do not send any proof of tribal affiliation with your University of Maine (any campus) application.
- New applicants must complete an application form and sign the program guidelines to be considered for the program.
Original documentation is required and it is the applicant’s responsibility to obtain clear documentation that proves membership to descendancy to a Wabanaki tribal member. (See Determining Eligibility to learn what documentation is required for your classification – Members of Maine Tribes, Members of Other tribes, Descendants of Wabanaki).
The University of Maine System North American Indian Waiver and Room & Board Grant Office, located at the Wabanaki Center, is able to assist new applicants with any questions they may have about the University and inform applicants of what services are available and how to access them.
You may make an appointment with the Waiver Coordinator at the UMS Native American Indian Waiver and Educational Program, and Room & Board Grant Office at the Wabanaki Center by calling 207-581-1417. During your appointment, we will tell you about the services available to you, and assist you with any questions that you may have about the University.
A reasonable time frame for consideration of the program is as follows:
- For the Fall semester, application and FAFSA MUST be completed by September 1st.
- For the Spring semester, application and FAFSA MUST be completed by January 1st
- For the Summer term, application and FAFSA MUST be completed by May 1st
Each applicant is responsible for all their original documentation. The UMS N.A.W.E.P and Room & Board Grant Office will not consider any documentation not provided by the applicant.